Friday, May 29, 2015

The Social Benefits of CrossFit!

 Kristin Jones, CF-L1
Co-Owner CrossFit MontCo          

          How do most twenty-something’s meet friends after College besides at work? I’d venture to guess at bars or through other friends. Well, here’s another way and the way I have 50 new friends with similar interests and goals- CROSSFIT! In my adult life (after college) I’d say I made the majority of my friends in two ways; through Manayunk Sport and Social and now CrossFit.  These people all share similar interests with me (Mostly CrossFit and Drinking, but that’s okay right!?!?) and are hardworking people.  These people helped me get through a very tough year with Dave deployed, are some of my closest friends and now are some of the people that spoil my son the most.  Community is REAL in a CrossFit Box if you let it in. 
                       
             The 2012 school year was coming to a close and I was about 2 months into this CrossFit Journey. I had taken a step to improve my career and applied and accepted a new High School position for the next school year. I was enjoying the workouts for sure but I still couldn’t be caught climbing those four stories alone- I only went to class when Dave could go too.  As the school year ended I decided to give the 9:30am class a try where I can remember my coach, Paul and athletes like Deb, Ronnie and Ivey who pushed me everyday! I still attended some evening classes with Dave but I was gaining more confidence from the morning classes.

Of course a day I missed...but the original 9:30 crew


            During the regular CrossFit classes, some of the more elite athletes were doing “Comp” programming over on the platforms.  I particularly remember a girl with bright red lipstick who moved the bar with ease. At the time I assumed she was not a nice person and for some reason I thought the people over there were “too good” for me and brushed them off.

            In June of 2012, Dave would be deployed again but would first have to complete 8 weeks of training in Yuma Arizona.  If anyone knows my fear of snakes, I immediately refused even visiting him while he was there.  I ended up flying out to San Diego to one of my best friends place and we spent a few days together before she started school. (School in July??! No thanks!) On the first or second day there when Britt had to go to school, I made the 2 mile walk in an unknown area to CrossFit La Jolla where Brandy welcomed me as a member of their community. I can’t imagine walking two miles for any other type of workout-lol. I had drank the “Kool Aide”. I actually ended up renting a place in San Diego for 3 weeks while Dave was training two hours away. He came on the weekends and we attended a few more classes with Crossfit La Jolla.  I returned to Yuma with Dave for a week before heading home and was also able to attend two classes at CrossFit Yuma (at the time a tiny box in a small shopping center where the muscle up rings were suspended above the drop ceiling).  Visiting these other boxes made me feel even more a part of this bigger community and appreciate my CFMY family.

            Fast-forward to September 15, 2012, Dave is deployed again. I had heard about this Epic Pool Party that was going to take place at the new pool at the Piazza in Northern Liberties.  Enter the SOCIAL benefits of CrossFit.  This was my first real time hanging out with the members at a social event.  I was super nervous…most of the people there were the elite people who I didn’t know.  Needless to say the day was amazing and the party literally never ended. For those of you that were around- I lost my car after that day- it was crazy!  Since Dave was deployed, I went to CrossFit more and more and made a lot of friends quickly. That girl with the red lipstick, Leslie, is now one of my dearest friends and I couldn’t imagine not knowing her. (Check out her blog too!)


          That winter we moved the entire gym including a ton of 100 lb mats from the old storage facility to our new home at 4901 Umbria- there was a lot of demo, moving and clean up.  We were never short on a helping hand or a laugh during the process because everyone was in it for the same reason- to improve the box!

              In  the Spring I participated in the CrossFit Open (a 5 week, Worldwide competition looking for the best of the best to qualify for Regionals and eventually the CrossFit Games). CFMY had been to regionals the past 2 years and hoped for another team qualifying spot. The Open workouts were performed on Thursday nights and followed by a party every week. (This was my kind of gym!) I always snuck in a fairly early heat so the party started earlier for me.  During this 5-week time I gained the title of Bar Manager because I was sure that everyone always had a full cup.  Each week, I made new friends and loved the social side this new hobby brought into my life.  We even joked and called the gym Club 4901 after the workouts had finished. After some time we caught news that we had qualified and I tried out for the team- although I didn’t make it, it was one of the best experiences of my adult life.  The way the community got behind me each and every workout and cheered me on to do things I thought were impossible was invigorating!

           I am now lucky enough to have also made a whole new Family in my members at CrossFit MontCo!  The people you meet in CrossFit, at least in my experience are some of the most genuine people you’ll ever meet.  There’s always an ear to listen, a hand to high five or someone to suffer through FRAN with. Never have I seen a sport where the community and fans rallied around the last place finisher almost as much as if not more then the person on the top of the leader board.  CrossFit will change your life physically for sure but the social benefits for me have been way beyond my expectations. 


Phillies Tailgate, 2014 CFMY, CFMC and CF2ST

No comments:

Post a Comment